|Work In Progress|
|Original Broadcast Date|
|Tim Jerome, Tess Steincolk, Arthur Miller, Larry Block, Paul Mantell, Joe Frank|
|Improv Actors, Real People, Absurd Monologue, 60 minutes|
|Followed by:||Great Lives|
"So what happened to my church was what happened to many churches..."
Bad is a program Joe Frank produced as part of the series Work In Progress. It was originally broadcast in 1989. It is similar to Building A Church.
A minister is imprisoned, escapes using every imaginable transportation. Sounds of construction. The history of church building, windows, clock bells and time-keeping on ships by counting slowly, the history of tools, screws v/s nails. A son tells his Jewish father he's converting to Christianity. Notre Dame was built based on Hugo's description in NDDP. The cathedral of Chartres was originally a tiny church. A cathedral was built by slaves collapsed 600 years later and plunges the land into chaos. A woman talks about her mother pretending to sell her to gypsies. "This spirit cannot fail you" preacher. Mutilating oneself in church. Becoming the leader of a sect, an orgy in a tent, instructions for making offerings. The nature of love. A man takes advantage of everyone, kills people, experiences a conversion. Sounds of church building. The recycling of churches as secular buildings and consumer goods. Larry complains about the show, suggests Joe take a vacation.
- "Body Of Light" - Bill Nelson (from Chance Encounters In The Garden Of Lights, 1987) | YouTube [6:05]
- "Kiss Me When I Get Back" - Tom Tom Club (from Boom Boom Chi Boom Boom, 1988) | YouTube [12:54]
- "The Spirit Cannot Fail" - Bill Nelson (from Chance Encounters in the Garden of Lights, 1987) | YouTube [29:30]
- "Ponta De Lança Africano (Umbabarauma)" - Jorge Ben (from África Brasil, 1976) | YouTube [31:10]
The original broadcast credits state: "With Tim Jerome, Tess Steincolk, Arthur Miller, Larry Block, Paul Mantell, and Joe Frank. This program was created in collaboration with David Rapkin, and was recorded and mixed by Jerry Summers. Special thanks to Richard Eisner and Nan Lieberman."
- Contains material from Building A Church (1988), with music changes.
- Body Of Light (Bill Nelson)
- Bill Nelson
- Kiss Me When I Get Back (Tom Tom Club)
- Tom Tom Club
- The Spirit Cannot Fail (Bill Nelson)
- Ponta De Lança Africano (Umbabarauma) (Jorge Ben)
- Jorge Ben
- Improv Actors
- Real People
- Absurd Monologue
- Tim Jerome
- Tess Steincolk
- Arthur Miller
- Larry Block
- Paul Mantell
- Work In Progress