Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Somewhere Out There|
|Original Broadcast Date|
|June 9, 1996|
|Absurd Monologue, Serious Monologue, Absurd Lists, 54 minutes|
|Preceded by:||Lost Soul|
|Followed by:||Escape From Paradise|
My father was a very, very popular and wonderful teacher.
The entire hour is composed of a monologue spoken by Joe over music loops.
- Joe watches his wonderful and respected father painfully wasting away.
- A grisly car accident occurs outside his hospital window. Joe's father is near death.
- Joe prays for his father, who then dies a horrible, agonizing, graceless death while the attending nurse is in another room copulating with a patient.
- Joe's ex calls in the middle of this chaos to demand alimony.
- The funeral: Joe's mother falls apart and dies; now it's a funeral for two.
- The cortege gets lost: a collapsed bridge, more chaos.
- At the cemetery: flooding and unearthed human remains are everywhere.
- A lovely hillside church nearby explodes. A lovely pair of children appears, only to hurl objects at Joe.
- "And it was then that I came to the realization that the world is evil."
- A recurring dream of an angel, then seeing glimpses of her in real life. Actually encountering her at a restaurant. "Who are you?"
- They get acquainted, go out on a superficial date and shop at a drug store (silly list), she leaves without giving him her number.
- Flashback to an evening with his parents at a resort. His parents dancing alone in the rain, the most peaceful moment of Joe's life.
- A dream: at a restaurant with a beautiful woman. They can't seem to communicate. He sees her later from a bus on the street, lactating from atop a ladder.
- Flashback to age 19 in the village meeting a woman. She takes him home and seduces him. Joe objects that he doesn't know her, so she impatiently shows him some pictures and tells him the basic facts of her life. "OK, now you know me." They spend the night. They argue over a poster of the earth.
- Climbing K2. "And so we had a prodigiously psychedelic experience."