|The Other Side|
|Original Broadcast Date|
|Friederike Frank, Joe Frank|
|Absurd Monologue, 59 minutes|
|Preceded by:||The Box|
|Followed by:||Holy Land|
"I just, just turned eighteen in November."
This show is 100% re-used:
17:40: A beautiful woman invites Joe to a performance of a play in which she has a role. Concerned that she watches him, Joe is self-conscious, puts so much effort into his role that he pays no attention to the play. He thinks about the roles we play, the performances we put on, in life.
21:00: Humans compensate for their inferiority to animals with tools: clothes, cars, makeup …
25:50: When he was a boy, falling asleep, Joe tortured himself with fantasies of making awful decisions.
48:10: 'The Earth is 1 of 9 planets that revolve around the sun …' - Joe describes the vastness of space.
49:30: Joe observes how small things look from an airplane, contrasts that perspective with how the city appears at ground level, comments on the ephemerality of life.
52:40: Joe's mother laments the poor health of her husband.
- His mom tells of her early adulthood, her marriage to an older man.
- Straining to appear likeable, the audience at a play as performers.
- Humans making up for our physical inferiority
- A child falling asleep imagines being offered hideous decisions: torture of himself or others.
- Joe Frank the schoolteacher, dating coworker Kim with capped teeth, premature ejaculation
- Defending against students' intellectual attacks
- The insignificance of humans in the universe. A city viewed from an airplane.
- Joe's mother talks about her sick husband, hospitals, nurse revenge.
- "Close Your Eyes (Faze Action mix)" - Bebel Gilberto (from Tanto Tempo Remixes, 2001) | YouTube (Added later)
- Two shows share this air date on joefrank.com; this and Holy Land.
- originally in God Only Knows
- Joe's mother was born Friederike Passweg, 1910 December 7. 1929 January 2 she married Meier Langermann. On their naturalization papers they changed the spelling of their names: Friederike to Frederica, Langermann to Langerman, Meier to Meyer.
- originally in Cocktails Before Dinner
- originally in When She's Asleep, She Looks Like An Angel
- Joe taught at Dalton school
- originally in Pretender, in which it was interspersed with Monmouth's story
- originally in He Hesitated
- originally in The Road To Calvary.
- Joe added music to several of his shows when they were rebroadcast or digitized. The updated versions are available at Joefrank.com