Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Work In Progress|
|Original Broadcast Date|
|Lester Nafzger, Julie Renick, Joe Frank|
|Scripted Actors, Telephone, Mock Interview, 55 minutes|
|Followed by:||The More I Know You|
"A month ago I visited my mother in Columbus Ohio."
Performer is a program Joe Frank produced as part of the series Work In Progress. It was originally broadcast in 1989.
- Lester Nafzger, on the phone, talking about his argumentative mother, 81. They have a tremendous dispute over hypnotism.
- Superstition: counting 12 babies in arms for 12 days of good luck. Then, the 13th day.
- Lester tells us his 26 (and counting) definitive Life Reference Points, or 'linchpins', of his existence. Events that didn't make the list.
- Lester seems to know the height of everyone he knows. He's a numbers guy.
- Performances: looking for Jerry Rickshaw. Joe and Lester discuss the performance. What Jerry Rickshaw means to Lester.
- Where's Charlotte.
- My Teeth Are So Much Uglier Than Yours.
- Discussion of the role of an artist.
- Performances: Missing Barbara. Cartoon. Big Band.
- Lester describes the boogie boys: musical saboteurs.
- A serene mother-and-baby scene.
- Lester tells of his struggle to close the nearly 100 holes in the poorly-built wall connecting his furnace room to a porno theater next door. Then we hear audio from a porn movie.
- Lester recites the weight of everyone he knows.
- "Alternative 3" - Brian Eno (from Music For Films, 1976) | YouTube [19:46]
- "Aragon" - Brian Eno (from Music For Films, 1976) | YouTube [24:14]
- "All Blues" - Miles Davis (from Kind Of Blue, 1959) | YouTube [27:32]
- "The Plateaux Of Mirror" - Harold Budd - Brian Eno (from Ambient 2 (The Plateaux Of Mirror), 1980) | YouTube [30:59]
- "The Dream" - Ry Cooder (from Jazz, 1978) | YouTube [36:15]
- "New York, New York" [38:55]
The original broadcast credits state: "With Lester Nafzger, Julie Renick, and Joe Frank. Recorded by Bob Carlson and Jeff Sykes, and mixed by Jeff Sykes. Special thanks to Ariana Morgenstern."
- In this program and in A Landing Strip In The Jungle Lester uses the name "Lester Ainslie".
- Watermark (Enya)
- River (Enya)
- Alternative 3 (Brian Eno)
- Brian Eno
- Aragon (Brian Eno)
- All Blues (Miles Davis)
- Miles Davis
- The Plateaux Of Mirror (Harold Budd - Brian Eno)
- Harold Budd - Brian Eno
- The Dream (Ry Cooder)
- Ry Cooder
- Scripted Actors
- Mock Interview
- Lester Nafzger
- Julie Renick
- Work In Progress