Decline Of Spengler, The
|WBAI And NPR Playhouse|
|Original Broadcast Date|
|Barbara Sohmers, Joseph Palmieri, Lester Nafzger, Irene Wagner, Tim Jerome, Leslie Cass, David Rapkin, Rosemary Foley, Charles Potter, Arthur Miller, Brother Theodore, Joe Frank|
|Preceded by:||Pilot :: The End|
|Followed by:||The Queen Of Puerto Rico|
"Hoffman died today."
"The Decline of Spengler" is the name of a program Joe Frank produced as part of the series WBAI And NPR Playhouse. It was originally broadcast in 1983.
- Hoffman dies in surgery
- Joe ponders technology and society on a plane. Robot stewardess.
- Joe dreams he is a doctor on horseback. Hoffman's funeral and the fountain of youth is in Florida.
- Dream: film of Austria with weapons demos.
- Human centrifuge and fast-moving-foods dialog.
- Dream: Joe is a lawyer before a jury of prophets and seers.
- Joe gets cold call from Mrs. Waterman, they go to hotel, she is in a wheelchair (monologue, followed by actress).
- A doctor is called to a hotel where an operation is performed on him.
- A German engineer is mistakenly trapped on a train bound for a concentration camp, he escapes and finds the messiah.
- A three act play about a film about a man who loses his memory, emerges from the screen and is shot. The shooter than begs the projectionist to run the film backwards. Later a muffled telephone conversation accompanies a theological debate.
- A doctor dismisses a patient in a call-in medical program.
- Old people at a beach chat. Joe visits the zaddik of Rome.
- The messiah talks about time and decay, denies responsibility.
- Joe imagines a life married to a woman in Tampa who finds Jesus.
- Cleaning out Hoffman's room, finding a ticket to a rocket ship launch in Dreamland, ending up crashed in the swamp hundreds of years in the future.
- Nonsense monologue.
- "Unknown" - Steve Reich (from "Music For Eighteen Musicians ", 1978)
- "I'd Have You Anytime" - George Harrison (from "All Things Must Pass ", 1970)
Please see guidelines on commentary and share your personal thoughts in this section.